Coke and Pepsi Cancer Warning

General chat forum for all students.

Moderators: English Moderators, French Moderators, German Moderators

By Andrew
Coke and Pepsi alter recipe to avoid cancer warning label

Coca-Cola and Pepsi are changing the recipes for their drinks to avoid putting a cancer warning label on the bottle, to comply with California laws.

The new recipe for caramel colouring in the drinks has less 4-methylimidazole - a chemical which California has added to its list of carcinogens.

The change to the recipe has already been introduced in California.

But the companies say rolling out the new recipe across the US makes the drinks more efficient to manufacture.

"While we believe that there is no public health risk that justifies any such change, we did ask our caramel suppliers to take this step so that our products would not be subject to the requirement of a scientifically unfounded warning," Coca-Cola representative Diana Garza-Ciarlante told the Associated Press news agency.

The chemical has been linked to cancer in mice and rats, according to one study, but there is no evidence that it poses a health risk to humans, said the American Beverage Association, which represents the wider industry.

The US Food and Drug Administration claims a person would need to drink 1,000 cans of Coke or Pepsi to take in the same dose of the chemical that was given to the animals in the lab test. (So if you drink Coke or Pepsi on a daily basis, in about three or four years you have drunk the amount needed to induce Cancer?) :shock:

Coca-Cola and PepsiCo account for nearly 90% of the fizzy drink market, according to one industry tracker, Beverage Digest.

Source: BBC
By DimosT
Well as stated we are not surprised... One way or another we all knew the detrimental effects that Coca-cola has on our health. Nonetheless it is so appalling and disquieting to know that it is despondently even worse than we all think.

Thus, even after getting to know all those facts, I believe that no-one will change their attitude towards big companies like Pepsi and Coca-cola. All these years we have been hibernating, but it is time to grasp that this has an adverse effect on us.
By Simone
DimosT wrote:But it is time to grasp that this has an adverse effect on us.
Yep and I’d suggest stop consuming such products if you haven’t already ;)
By VaiaA
This is why I never drink soft drinks... They destroy our health, our calcium and cause cancer... Coca cola should be closed down..Maybe Anonymous can attack and destroy this corporation... :lol: :lol: :lol: too far-fetched..!!
By Michael
Never liked cola, but yeah I agree with you Coca Cola must die. Though if it dies many people will lose their jobs, so it's a no win scenario :?
By EmilyN
I AM NOT SURPRISED ... I have heard about that too, but I really don't understand why some people that know what coca-cola can cause them, and how much damage it does to their health still continue drinking that awful thing. :shock: I hope that it will be no longer produced one day. But I do not think this will actually happen because some stupid people earn massive amounts of money from this... :evil: I personally have no problem as I hate coca-cola and I never drink it ;):!:
By Helen
Just throw the damn drink out when you see it in your homes and tell those who consume it that you drank it and want more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe then they will reconsider about having it at home.