The game that can give you 10 extra years of life!

General chat forum for all students.

Moderators: English Moderators, French Moderators, German Moderators

Oh I'd never thought a video game could extend your life's limit in that way...!! It's a really interesting speech giving us the motivation to apply these recommendations in our everyday reality......Worthwhile watching it!!
Well, that was interesting….I would have never believed that playing video games can increase our life….! But although everything seemed to me really logically I still can not believe it. I don’t think that playing video games offers us so much happiness and physical activity…! To be honest after some minutes playing I get bored..!
First of all, everybody moves and talks to other people. Everyone has a different goal for every day of their lives no matter how big or small it is. Whether it is getting into university, catching the bus or just getting through the day, you have a goal. Everyone wants to feel happy.

Also, if I start putting my hands up and counting backwards from 100 by 7 for no reason and get those 10 more years and play games during those years, from what she said, I'll simple never die.

Games might help her live longer (or at least that's what she thinks), however, this doesn't apply to everyone.

Finally, if by playing this game I gain 7.5 minutes, then she owes me 12 more.

I'm not saying that if games make you happier you shouldn't play, but they don't make me, so I still want my 12 minutes back.
That was really cool. I’d have never believed someone who said “If you play videogames you will increase your lifetime with 10 more years” if I hadn’t watched this video. I totally agree with Mrs McGonigl because it’s true that games can offer you happiness and they can entertain you. If you get bored.

According to “The Wall Street Journal” and a growing body of universities people who played action-based video and computer games made decisions 25% faster than others without sacrificing accuracy, according to a study. Indeed, the most adept gamers can make choices and act on them up to six times a second—four times faster than most people, other researchers found.

Moreover, practiced game players can pay attention to more than six things at once without getting confused, compared with the four that someone can normally keep in mind, said University of Rochester researchers. The studies were conducted independently of the companies that sell video and computer games. Scientists also found that women—who make up about 42% of computer and videogame players—were better able to mentally manipulate 3D objects, a skill at which men are generally more adept. Most studies looked at adults rather than children.

Electronic gameplay has its downside too. Brain scans show that violent videogames can alter brain function in healthy young men after just a week of play, depressing activity among regions associated with emotional control, researchers at Indiana University recently reported. Other studies have found an association between compulsive gaming and being overweight, introverted and prone to depression. The studies didn't compare the benefits of gaming with such downsides.

The violent action games that often worry parents most had the strongest beneficial effect on the brain. "These are not the games you would think are mind-enhancing," said cognitive neuroscientist Daphne Bavelier, who studies the effect of action games at Switzerland's University of Geneva and the University of Rochester in New York.

So keep on play videogames and you will live longer.
:o :shock:
That was really exciting. I completely agree with what she said. Although some people will find it hard to believe it, I think it is very useful information that can help everyone of us live a better and healthier life. You can simply think that if you do something you like instead of doing something really boring because someone else tells you to do it, you will be happier and won't have any regrets of living a depressing life. And also, the 7.5 minutes that you will gain while doing these simple things just once a day will make your life different, your relationships better, your health improved and your smile bigger.
First of all, let me say that I loved Catherine’s answer, it was so smart ;) Although, forgive me for saying that this video wasn’t a waste of time! It was interesting and maybe there is a small truth in “a video game can extend your life (!)” Definitely, playing a lot of video-games won’t give you 10 extra years of life so easily, otherwise all boys would live for ever :o (can you imagine that?!) haha :)

In my opinion, the video seemed to me that it was an advertisement for video-games (such as Farmville that was mention etc). Anyway, I liked “the whole thing” of that and also the presenters way of communicating with the audience, but I can’t rely on only on what she supports.
Well, I must admit that I agree with almost everyone. I honestly don’t consider the ’Super Better ‘ game as a waste of time. I would never imagine that such a simple game turned out to be so beneficial for many people even if they suffered from very serious heath problems due to the approximately 70% of people who deal with them die. This game may not make them literately OK, although it enabled them to have the courage to fight for their existence , believe in dreams and miracles and in the speaker’s case stand a chance for a better, happier, longer life as it extends the average life limit.

It has also a similar beneficial effect on other people. They can replace the positive emotions with the negative ones, help them tackle any kind of problem quickly and easily, become physically active to be healthier, come close to people they love and express their true feelings and being, have goals tiny or big in other words - evolve to being committed, ambitious with the positive meaning of the word, cheerful, lively, do things they want to and not be forced.

I really had the time of my life watching this video and in my view it was worth it. Furthermore, everything it is based on scientific explanations in which I mostly rely on. So it’s true!!!!!! ;) :D
OK, I really enjoyed this video :) I do not really believe that you can extend your lifetime by playing video games but I believe that instead of having a bored life and do what other people say it is better to live as you want with your own rules :) so if someone wants to play video games all day who cares? :D :D
Well now ... What should I say about this topic ?? You've fully covered every side of this video with your comments . So what I'm gonna do is to disagree 8-) .

First of all, I'm going to disagree with Kathrine. So, in your comment you said that even if you had won 7.5 minutes of life that video still owes you 12 more minutes right ? However, the presenter said that you can win 7.5 minutes every day playing this game. That way you can win much more than 12 minutes.

I hope I have started a blazing argument and intend to keep it like this, provided that more of our classmates take place :twisted: