DARPA’s Four-Legged Robots

General chat forum for all students.

Moderators: English Moderators, French Moderators, German Moderators

By Andrew
DARPA’s Four-Legged Robots Walk Out For Capabilities Demonstration

We certainly do not condone the development of any technology for military purposes, however robotics can and does have considerable benefits when used for more peaceful projects. A large number of current technological trends started off as military projects end up being used for peaceful purposes, we hope this could indeed become one more.

The question is what can this robot be used for that would benefit mankind, any guesses?

Source: DARPA
By Simone
Interesting video! I can imagine the robots in a more advanced form being given the shape of a horse and used in their place instead of the real creatures, like in Arthur C. Clarke's 'Rama Revealed'!
By ChrisS
Those kind of robots, except for military use, could definitely be used for agricultural work. For example, they could provide farmers with help in their construction work or with their animals. Another possible use of such robots would be animal observation. For example we could disguise the robots like the real animals and observe them to obtain information about their habits and the habitat in which they live and also for other educational purposes.
By AnastasisS
That's very cool. I totally agree with Chris because these robots are the future of the human race. They can be used for a lot of jobs such us workers in factories.
By Michael
I agree with Chris and Anastasis but its sad because yes they can be used to replace humans in these hard and tedious roles but they are so expensive that it's actually cheaper to have a human being doing it. So until we reach a stage where money isn't the issue I don't see robots being used anywhere else except military ops.