General chat forum for all students.

Moderators: English Moderators, French Moderators, German Moderators

By VasilikiR
Musk views space exploration as an important step in expanding—if not preserving—the consciousness of human life. Musk has said that multiplanetary life may serve as a hedge against threats to the survival of the human species. "An asteroid or a super volcano could destroy us, and we face risks the dinosaurs never saw: An engineered virus, inadvertent creation of a micro black hole, catastrophic global warming or some as-yet-unknown technology could spell the end of us. Humankind evolved over millions of years, but in the last sixty years atomic weaponry created the potential to extinguish ourselves. Sooner or later, we must expand life beyond this green and blue ball—or go extinct." Musk's goal is to reduce the cost of human spaceflight by a factor of 100. He founded SpaceX with $100 million of his early fortune. He remains chief executive officer and chief technology officer of the Hawthorne, Calif.-based company.
WATCH
By MatinaT
Musk is a very intelligent and inventive man who has great ideas about saving energy and protecting the environment by using technology.
He and his crew have already created hybrid cars and they have more ideas about constructing new means of transportation, which are going to reduce environmental pollution.
By CatherineA
Musk is an incredible man who has managed to change the world. He uses his intelligence to make a difference to the way we live and is a really inspiring man.
Also, he keeps working on new projects, like the hyperloop, that will make an even bigger change to our lives and can be a big step for improvement.

Musk said about the Hyperloop;
This system I have in mind, how would you like something that can never crash, is immune to weather, it goes 3 or 4 times faster than the bullet train... it goes an average speed of twice what an aircraft would do. You would go from downtown LA to downtown San Francisco in under 30 minutes. It would cost you much less than an air ticket than any other mode of transport. I think we could actually make it self-powering if you put solar panels on it, you generate more power than you would consume in the system. There's a way to store the power so it would run 24/7 without using batteries. Yes, this is possible, absolutely.
Musk is also planning to develop a new kind of airplane: “Boeing just took $20 billion and 10 years to improve the efficiency of their planes by 10 percent. That’s pretty lame. I have a design in mind for a vertical liftoff supersonic jet that would be a really big improvement.”
Source: Businessweek
By DimitraB
Damn! Elon Musk is a genius. He is trying to make our lives better. The video is very interesting and informative. Most of all I like the Tesla Car! Wow!
By EufemiaK
So, girls, with a video you overrate a man because he talked about his accomplishments/achievements and you believed all the things he said? I don't disagree, he's done great things but he is not a saint! I searched about the disadvantages of Tesla motors, and I found some information that's very interesting!

theunderstatement
;)
By Andrew
EufemiaK wrote:I don't disagree, he's done great things but he is not a saint!
I don't think Musk claims to be a saint.

EufemiaK wrote:theunderstatement
;)
Good find!
By ChrisP
The way I see it the problem with the battery is not very serious. I mean that it's not so difficult to prevent a car from becoming a brick because you use it almost everyday. All it takes is just not to forget to plug it in when you park it outside your house. In addition, when you have to travel somewhere by train, ship, or airplane you should leave your car plugged in and take a taxi to reach the station/ port/ airport so, no problem.
By Andrew
The Future of Energy and Transport

A very interesting talk at Oxford Martin School covering topics such as space travel, electric vehicles and solar energy with speaker Elon Musk, CEO and Product Architect of Tesla Motors and the CEO/CTO of Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX).

By Andrew
“Entrepreneur Elon Musk is a man with many plans. The founder of PayPal, Tesla Motors and SpaceX sits down with TED curator Chris Anderson to share details about his visionary projects, which include a mass-marketed electric car, a solar energy leasing company and a fully reusable rocket.”-Ted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgKWPdJWuBQ