Do we really need the moon?

General chat forum for all students.

Moderators: English Moderators, French Moderators, German Moderators

By Joanna
Do we really need the moon?

The moon is such a familiar presence in the sky that most of us take it for granted. But what if it wasn't where it is now? How would that affect life on earth?

Space scientist and lunar fanatic Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock explores our intimate relationship with the moon. Besides orchestrating the tides, the moon dictates the length of a day, the rhythm of the seasons and the very stability of our planet.

Yet the moon is always on the move. In the past it was closer to the Earth and in the future it'll be farther away. That it is now perfectly placed to sustain life is pure luck, a cosmic coincidence. Using computer graphics to summon up great tides and set the Earth spinning on its side, Aderin-Pocock implores us to look at the moon afresh: to see it not as an inert rock, but as a key player in the story of our planet, past, present and future.
By ChrisP
WOW!! I never thought that the Moon means so much to us. I'm astonished. As we saw in the documentary we depend on the Moon for our own survival, since it keeps our planet from making catastrophic movements, which would change an area's climate too fast for the creatures of the area to adapt. So, it seems that humanity is very lucky to have the Moon perfectly positioned to keep the Earth rotating at a steady pace. However, the Moon is constantly moving away from our planet at a very slow rate which means that humanity shall have to find a way to survive without it.

Regarding what that scientist said about harvesting the power of the Moon, I agree only with the solar part because by producing things with lunar materials at a huge rate, it may change the ways the Moon affects the Earth.
By VasilikiR
I was amazed at the spectacular images that were used in this documentary. It made it clear how important the moon is, as it is partly responsible for the appearance of life and for maintaining it in the future. Just a little change in its position would totally change the balance on earth, including seasons, the Earth’s movement, the levels of water in the oceans and as a result, human life will be endangered.

I was also really amazed by the fact that our ancestors knew about the power of the moon on Earth and created with such accuracy the Callanish standing stones.

Lastly, the idea of harvesting the power of the moon makes me believe that mankind can change the universe...! ;)
By PeterT
It's incredible that the moon keeps us alive. No one would believe that the moon has played such a big role in our lives. The moon's gravity deflects some asteroids away from the earth, so we don't get hit . The wind would still blow, so the oceans would still have waves, but anything dependent on significant tides (the sun's tides are only about a third as large as the moon's) would have to adapt or become extinct. This would include anything that lives or breeds in the intertidal zone.

The moon's gravity also helps stabilize the earth's axis; without it, the earth could "tip over" dramatically and quickly, with potentially catastrophic changes in weather and climate.

That was a really interesting video!! :) :)
By EufemiaK
There are many moons in our solar system, but none like ours!
It has a big influence on our planet, it keeps our world in balance.
Maybe without the moon we wouldn't be here!

What an extraordinary moon we have, we may take it for granted, but it actually is the main reason we have life! As Chris mentions, humans as well as all animals and species on earth are very lucky to have the moon properly positioned and if it is always on the move getting further and further away, we indeed need something to replace it in the far future. ;)
By PanagiotisA
To be specific I was more amazed by the pictures that I saw in the video. That extraordinary image which shows New York underwater! Also the other one which shows how the moon was created.

Moreover, I learned some very interesting things. For example the fact that moon influences the movement of water on the earth.